West of Scotland School of Anaesthesia
There are a number of circumstances when a trainee may seek to spend some time out of the specialty training programme to which they have been appointed. All such requests need to be agreed by the Postgraduate Dean, so trainees are advised to discuss their proposals as early as possible.
The purpose of taking time out of a specialty training programme is to support the trainee in:
- OOPT: in undertaking GMC prospectively approved clinical training which is not a part of the trainee’s specialty training programme and takes place during ST5/6/7
- OOPE: in gaining clinical experience which is not approved by but which may benefit the doctor or help support the health needs of other countries
- OOPR: in undertaking a period of research
The last 6 months of the CCT training programme normally should be in the UK. The trainee on his/her return must complete a report on the time spent on OOPT and submit it, together with an assessment report from the local supervisor, to the Deanery and the Medical Secretary of the RCoA Training Committee.
Please read carefully the advice available on the RCoA and NES websites and in the Gold guide. OOPT is at the discretion of the TPD and the Dean. The process is complicated and must be completed and approval obtained a minimum of three months prior to start of OOPT or your application will be rejected by the deanery.
- Prior to commencing OOP, trainees must discuss their career plans with their CT, TPD and RA approximately 9 months before the intended start date.
- The trainee must obtain a letter of support from the RCoA for the proposed OOPT by completing the OOPT form from the RCoA and submitting the required supporting documents.
- The trainee must inform the Postgraduate dean by contacting Mrs Lisa Pearson, PA to PG Dean, complete the form in appendix 4 of the Gold Guide and get it signed by their Educational supervisor and TPD.
- The trainee must send a copy of the supporting letter from the RCoA and completed Appendix 4 to Postgraduate Dean together with a covering letter to the GMC
- The Postgraduate dean writes to the GMC to apply for "prospective approval that proposed OOPT counts towards CCT" (RCoA letter required for this). This process may take up to one month.
- The trainee must give at least three months formal written notice to their employer and six months to the deanery prior to the start date of the planned OOPT
OOP Application Process
NES OOP pages